- Prep Time:20 mins
- Cook Time:60 mins
Beef Short Ribs with Homemade Baked Beans
They say good things come to those who wait, and these sticky ribs and their delicious sides are the perfect case of that. We’ve added sliced green beans to the coleslaw for a pop of colour. This melt-in-your-mouth beef dish is ideal when you’re looking for something different to the Sunday night roast.
Original recipe by Better Homes and Gardens | 30.4.15
+1 1 CAN (215g) EDGELL SLICED GREEN BEANS
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1.4kg beef short ribs
- Sea salt flakes & white pepper, to season
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- ¼ cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 (150g) rashers rindless bacon, finely diced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 x 400g can Edgell Cannellini Beans, drained, rinsed
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
Note: Preparation time is 20 mins + overnight marinating
Combine tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of the Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a large shallow ceramic dish. Add ribs, season and turn to coat well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Combine cabbage, carrot and mayonnaise in a large bowl.
ADD DRAINED EDGELL SLICED GREEN BEANS TO THE BOWL.
Season, then cover and refrigerate until required.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large oven tray or roasting pan with baking paper. Remove ribs from marinade and place on prepared tray. Transfer marinade to heatproof jug and set aside. Roast ribs for 1 hour or until tender.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, bacon and cook stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add cumin and paprika. Stir until combined. Add tomato, water remaining maple syrup, remaining Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Stir until mixture comes to the boil. Simmer for 3 minutes or until mixture thickens. Add beans and cook for 3 minutes or until heated through. Place ribs on serving plates with baked beans and coleslaw, Spoon sauce over ribs, garnish with parsley and serve.
You could also cook ribs in slow cooker.
The homemade baked beans make for a great weekend breakfast on their own.